4/13/2012

The Gluten Free Revolution - For It Or Against?

It all started when I accompanied Janet Kline, Founder of the Charlotte Celiac Connection to the Healthier Charlotte Show at WTVI to tape a segment on Celiac Disease and Gluten Free Living...

The host, Bobby Demuro, asked Janet if there was more awareness and more options today and she stated back that it was a "Gluten Free Revolution". Afterwards, Janet and I talked and I commented on how cute that comment was and she gave the suggestion that I get the R.O.C.K. kids to change the words to the Beatles song "Revolution" and perform it at the Charlotte Gluten Free Expo in June. It is an adorable idea, although I have to admit I haven't had the time to pull off re-writing the Beatles song with Gluten Free lyrics.

We've certainly seen through the Celebrities Gone Gluten Free Roster List growing by leaps and bounds which has contributed to not everyone being so stoked about the Gluten Free Revolution happening. And for good reason...
One side says that the stars minimize the necessity for Gluten Free when they merely do it for a diet.
Then the other side says some publicity is better than none and they enjoy the perks of having convenience in their lives, albeit the few mishaps of cross contamination.
I have even heard people ranting in almost a proprietary way that it shouldn't be Gluten Free Awareness is the big deal, but that it should be Celiac Disease Awareness, even though if the world had not gone bonkers over Gluten Free, they would have not had the simple conveniences they have now.
And then of course there is always the article or blog post or News segment blasting the Gluten Free Revolution for being less healthy as manufacturers increase pumping out foods highly processed with refined sugars and yet touting the Gluten Free stamp...
I say tomato, you say tomahto.

No one can please everyone, but I know that when I do want to have an occasional cook out with my family - My kid doesn't have to pass if she doesn't want to because she can have a GF hot dog bun.
I know that when we are on the road and in a pinch, I can stop at P.F. Changs or Outback and she can have a hot gluten free meal.
I know that when my child has a birthday party celebration at school, she can eat a gluten free cupcake just like the rest of her classmates.
So, I like being an advocate of the Gluten Free Revolution - because I am one of the dreaded people who eats Gluten Free even though I don't have Celiac Disease. I do it because I support my daughter, which is the best reason I can think of.

However, in the meantime, until we make Janet's cool idea happen...
Here is my tribute to Janet and her Gluten Free Revolution featuring images from our
Gluten/Allergen Free Events across the United States!




*Music is of course Copyright of The Beatles - Lennon/McCartney*

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Information on our site and shared by members of our support forums is not intended to be medical advice or to replace the relationship between a patient and his/her physician*